A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Only variable references should be returned by reference

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 272

Courses UK » Медицинские услуги, безопасность и социальное обеспечение

Health, safety and welfare


Being able to have access to medical care while you are studying is a necessity! Should anything happen and you fall ill or get injured, you need to know where to go and get help.

Every university by law needs to have an on campus nurse’s office where you can get access to first aid and medical advice. Make sure you know where this office is on campus and know what their opening hours are.

Additionally most of these nurses’ offices have a walk in service where they will assist you in registering with a recommended doctor’s clinic and dentist.

Some of the larger universities have their own healthcare centers and pharmacies on campus.

In addition to knowing where immediate care can be sought, the UK National Health Service (NHS) is the main provider of medical care. The NHS offers free treatment in the UK to anyone who is eligible for it. If not you will need to pay for the service that you receive.

As an international student you will be entitled to the following free health care services: 

  • Emergency treatment and Accidents

  • Family Planning and Emergency Contraceptives

  • Treatment of diagnosable and contagious diseases

In order to be entitled to full free healthcare on the NHS, it will depend on particular circumstances such as your nationality and immigration status, the duration of your stay in the UK and the location of your study.

In order to find out for certain what you are entitled to, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

If you find yourself in the position where you are not entitled to care on the NHS, it is best to take out a private health insurance policy from your own country. This means that if you need care while in the UK, the costs will be taken care of by the insurance company.

Make sure that you read the terms and conditions of your policy and that it does indeed cover you for the duration of your visit to the UK. For more information you can approach your university student’s advice service for more help and details regarding this matter.

Here are a few things you will need to know and/or arrange prior to your journey to the UK: 

  • Make sure you are up to date on all your shots and vaccinations. Where possible acquire multiple copies of your health certificate detailing what vaccinations you have taken as you make be asked for it when entering the country.

  • If you have a disability or a preexisting condition, do not forget to inform your university of them. There may be additional support available for you.

  • If you have a disability or preexisting condition, do not forget to bring copies of ongoing prescriptions and a letter from your doctor detailing your health. This is so that you can pass all the vital information to your assigned doctor in the UK.

  • If you are an international student but are from within the EU, you can apply for a European Health Card which will allow you and your family full access to the NHS health service.

Send to friend

Uk English Courses